>> Why Incorporate
>> Where to Incorporate
>> Corporations vs. LLCs
>> Registered Agent Services
>> Company Compliance Checklist
>> State Compliance Requirements
>> More IRS Information
>> S Corporation / Pass Through Taxation
>> Purchase Corporate Kits
>> Company Formation For US Non-Residents

Characteristics of Business Entities



HOME > INCORPORATE ONLINE > Converting from an "S" Corporation to a "C" Corporation

Converting from an "S" Corporation
to a "C" Corporation

November 07, 2003

There are many advantages to forming an "S" Corporation when incorporating. In fact, many companies elect to be treated by the IRS as S Corporations to take advantage of the "pass-through" aspects of the tax law. The potential tax benefits are so great that even existing corporations, if they qualify, can elect to be treated as an S Corporation.

As a company grows more mature, it may "outgrow" its ability to remain an S Corp. and therefore seek to convert from an S Corporation to a C Corporation. There are numerous reasons to convert, an example of which could be to perhaps take advantage of a more elaborate benefits plan for its employees. Other potential advantages of a C Corporation include nso limits on the number of Shareholders the company can have (maximum 75 shareholders for an S Corporation), or the ability for the company to name foreign nationals or other entities such as corporations as shareholders.

We have been asked many times over the years about the procedure to convert from an S Corporation to a C Corporation. The IRS reports that there is no official form to facilitate the conversion and therefore, the company wishing to convert must send a letter to the IRS stating the following:

  1. That the corporation is revoking its choice to be treated as an S Corporation under Sec. 1362(a) of the Internal Revenue Code.
  2. The total number of shares of stock that the company has (including nonvoting stock which has been issued and is outstanding at the time the revocation is made.)
  3. The date on which the revocation is to be effective, if a specific date is required.
  4. The name, address and taxpayer identification number (EIN) of the corporation.

If your company is maturing to the level that you need to seriously consider converting from an S to a C corporation, Start A, Inc. is here to help. You can contact us at 888-664-6263, or by email at with your questions, and we'll be happy to assist you in every way we can.

The Corporate Specialist team at Start A, Inc.

Form a Corporation
Form a Limited Liability Company
Compare Packages





Incorporate Online | Business Resources | Internet Resources | Offshore Services
Home | FAQs | Partners & Affiliates

BBBOnLine Reliability Seal
Copyright 1998-2004, Start A, Inc.
Company Links: About SABC | Contact SABC | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service